Support & Insight for the Autumn of Life

5 Smart Ways to Face Alzheimer’s

Lady with Alzheimer's

VIDEO:

See how one lady faced the stigma of Alzheimer’s and rose above its storm clouds. Learn why she continues to take part in her community and how she lives life with dementia to the fullest.

Notify of
guest

8 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
Anonymous
Anonymous
9 years ago

Excellent!!!!! I wish every newly diagnosed person could listen to this

m-mman
m-mman
8 years ago

Very well done.

Since there is currently no medical treatment for AD, the treatment becomes coping. Admitting the disease, coming out to others about the disease LEARNING all you can about the disease process, and TEACHING others about the process. Then just doing the best you can.

HOWEVER . . . . AD is not a disease that affects just one person! (this makes it different from most all other diseases)

What was left out of this video is her partner/caregiver. Are they prepared for the inevitable changes? Is the partner/caregiver prepared to deal with the later stages? The later stages is a huge burden that the AD person does not carry. It is suffered by others. Where is this caregiving person on the AD continuum of denial and understanding?

A comment about how she has prepared herself for the inevitable future legally, financially, etc. would also have been of value.
Still well done

Mrs. StClair
Mrs. StClair
Reply to  m-mman
6 years ago

Agreed!

Birgit
Birgit
8 years ago

Congratulations on your positive attitude. You are an inspiration! I wish you all the very best on your journey

Ed
Ed
7 years ago

Excellent attitude. I had my stage 5 wife watch this with me. I don't think she was impressed. But I was.

Mrs. StClair
Mrs. StClair
6 years ago

How wonderful it would be if attitude were the cure for dementia. Unfortunately, all dementias are progressive, untreatable, incurable, and fatal. As caregiver to my beloved husband of 40+ years, I'm all over the idea of milking every day for whatever it can be worth. But let's not lose sight of the fact that this is a gruesome killer. "Living well with dementia" is a myth. Dementia kills people–and along the way, it breaks the hearts and wallets of those who love them.

Anonymous
Anonymous
Reply to  Mrs. StClair
5 years ago

So true. Thank you for the reality check.

rmc24
rmc24
5 years ago

Janie Bonham, Thank you from the bottom of my heart. You said everything that needs to be said, PLUS! It has struck my heart deeply. I am early stage alzheimer's; and I don't hesitate to tell people (in fact, they probably don't want to hear it!!!). And, as a retired Occupational Therapist, I know Alzheimer's very personally and up face! But what you said was so right on. I do have great hope in my heart; especially, as I am involved in the research project with Biogen Drugs and will start receiving the drug for sure (at recommended dosage) in about 6 months. My greatest wish right now is to be involved in a group of people who are in our same boat!
Thank you for your beautiful note, and keep the faith! Nancy Curran

B. Berger

B. Berger

Visit Our Pages On:

Welcome

This site was inspired by my Mom’s autoimmune dementia.

It is a place where we separate out the wheat from the chaffe, the important articles & videos from each week’s river of news. With a new post on Alzheimer’s or dementia appearing on the internet every 7 minutes, the site’s focus on the best information has been a help to many over the past 15 years. Thanks to our many subscribers for your supportive feedback.

The site is dedicated to all those preserving the dignity of the community of people living with dementia.

Peter Berger, Editor

Related

a218-Giftgiving-W160.jpeg
10 Gift Ideas When Living with Alzheimer's
150322-M.jpeg
I Have Dementia, But Dementia Doesn't Have Me
130623-drive-gov.jpeg
The Dangers of Driving with Alzheimer's

Books

Amazon Books
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x